Help the Team
The Virginia Sports Hall of Fame is committed to honoring the Commonwealth’s many sports legends, welcoming local visitors and tourists, and providing a valuable learning experience for students centered around character development and healthy living.
The Hall of Fame depends on dedicated volunteers to assist museum guests and present programming that celebrates Virginia’s century-old athletic tradition and its many components, including integrity, teamwork, discipline, and fortitude.
Please read on to find out more about the benefits of volunteering with the Hall of Fame, the opportunities available to you, and the steps necessary to join our team.
Benefits for Volunteers Include:
- Free membership to the museum.
- 10% discount on Final Score gift shop purchases.
- Subscription to Hall of Fame publications.
- Opportunities to meet inductees and honored guests.
- Letters of reference for school or job applications.
- Recognition awards for number of hours and years of service.
- A fun working environment.
- Ongoing educational opportunities.
- Experience with museum work.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have an interest in sports history and/or health.
- Be enthusiastic, outgoing and dependable.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Commit to a minimum of 50 hours of service.
Become a Volunteer at the
Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum
Here's a sample of some possible duties:
- Greet Visitors
- Answer Questions
- Interpret Exhibits
- Prepare Spreadsheets
- Organize Mass Mailings
- Conduct Internet Research
- Answer Phones
- Assist on Museum Floor
- Help during Special Events such as set-up and break-down of events, take tickets, work registration tables
Qualifications: Minimum age 18. Must be dedicated, responsible, have excellent communication skills, willing to learn, dependable
Availability: Year-round, 2- to 8-hour shifts, weekdays and/or weekends - please note that our junior volunteer opportunites are currently filled and we are not taking on new summer volunteers at this time.
Join the Team
Steps in the Hall of Fame’s volunteer hiring process:
- Complete the VSHFM Volunteer Application and return it by fax or mail. Applications are accepted year-round.
- Meet with volunteer coordinator to match skills, interests, and availability with open position requirements. (Volunteer coordinator will contact you to set up this appointment.)
- Receive a position offer. Commit to at least 50 hours of service.
- Attend an orientation session and other required training led by your supervisor.